Adding Regions and Institutions¶
Concept: Regions & Institutions¶
Cyclus establishes a hierarchy of agents: Facility agents are operated by Institution agents that exist within a Region agent. This sense of ownership and coarse “geolocation” allow for modifications of the interaction behavior among agents. For example, two facilities who trade in the same commodity, but that exist in different regions may be disallowed from participating in a trade.
Every Cyclus simulation needs at least one Region and one Institution, and in this case, we’ll use the simplest options:
- a Null Institution (NullInst) that holds a set of facilities that are deployed at the start of a simulation.
- a Null Region (NullRegion) that holds a set of Institutions.
Activity: Add an Institution¶
- Drag the Institution Corral into the workspace and drop it on an empty location.
- This window has an Archetype Ribbon, similar to the Main View, above the Institution Corral. Working with Institutions in the Insitution Corral is much like working with Facilities in the Main View. You can drag-and-drop the archetypes into the corral and then double click to configure them.
- Drag and drop a NullInst into the corral, and open its configuration window.
- Name this institution: MyNucCo
Concept: Intial Facilities¶
All institutions can have a list of initial facilities that are operating when the simulation begins. Each of those facilities is based on a Facility prototype that has been defined in the Main View. Each facility is added to the list by specifying its Prototype and how many to add.
Activity: Add Initial Facilities¶
- Add one uranium mine to the initial facility list of this institution by selecting:
- Prototype: U mine
- Number: 1
and press the “Add” button.
- Use the same process to add:
Activity: Add a Region¶
- Drag the Region Corral into the workspace and drop it on an empty location.
- This window has an Archetype Ribbon, similar to the Main View, above the Region Corral. Working with Regions in the Region Corral is much like working with Facilities in the Main View, and with Institutions in the Institution Corral. You can drag-and-drop the archetypes into the corral and then double click to configure them.
- Drag and drop a NullRegion into the corral, and open its configuration window.
- Name this institution: Nuclandia
- Add our only institution to this region by selecting “MyNucCo” from the drop down box and clicking the “Add Institution” button.
Activity: Generate (and Save) your Input File¶
You are now ready to generate a full Cyclus input file.
- Click on the “Generate” button in the “Simulation Details” pane.
- Choose a file name and save.